Ringwood Station is about 111km east of Alice Springs, NT and 68km from Santa Teresa. (Not Mount Ringwood, which is much further north.) It was Crown land that was taken up for a station by MiIdred Grace (known as Grace) and her husband Murray Collings in 1953.
They started with cattle and horses from Pine Hill which Murray droved down there, taking six weeks. The following year, 1954, they topped the Alice Springs sales with their cattle. Both had served in WW2. In the 1960’s to save their cattle and horses during a prolonged drought, as they were good sorts carefully built up, Murray took a lot to the south east of SA. It was 18 months until conditions improved on Ringwood sufficiently to return them.
Horses were important companions for Grace and her daughters Margaret and Judy. The whole family were accomplished riders. Some information is taken from the Women’s Museum of Australia website (some lovely photos on there too).